Not certain as to how many servings are in this recipe so the amount is only estimated. This is a very low fat chili, you can substitute ground turkey for the beef. This can also be made on top of the stove. 1/2 cup serving = 2 pts.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced chilies or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- black pepper
- Cook the ground beef and garlic in a nonstick skillet breaking apart the meat with a spoon until well browned; drain off any fat very well, then return to skillet.
- Add in the bell peppers; cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the chili powder and cumin and stir to coat.
- In the slow cooker, mix together tomatoes, beans, sweet onion, chilies and tomato paste, then stir in the beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on HIGH until flavors are blended (about 4-5 hours).
- Season with black pepper.
Good but very hot - served with corn bread and apple pie. Next time I will use less chili powder.
I made this for an office potluck; threw it together the night before and stuck it in the crockpot in the morning. I used Bush's Grillin' Beans - Black Bean Fiesta - in place of plain kidney beans. Over the top! (especially with WW Cornbread made with Greek yogurt...
Terrific chili recipe! I let it simmer in the crock pot for 5 hours yesterday and we used it as taco filling. It has a lot of flavor. Even my 7 years old little boy loved it!Thank you Kittencal.