Recipe by C Wojo
I found this recipe back in 2002 in the Weight Watchers Community Recipe Swap. Because it is all vegies and seasonings it has 0 points. I tweeked the recipe to my liking and have been making it since then - even when I'm not watching my points. It makes about 6 cups (1 1/2 cups per serving). I also add 2 Turkey Italian Sausage links to the sauce to up the points value to 2 pts. per serving. I then serve it over 1 cup of Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta for 3 more points. Gets you a good size portion for a total of 5 points. My husband also likes it. It does get a little watery looking but the flavor is there and is a good size portion.
Top Review by segerct
I would encourage all Weight Watcher participants and even though who aren't doing WW to try this sauce. It's really rich and delightful. I only gave it four stars because the crushed red pepper flakes are a little much using 1/2 tsp. Next time I will just throw in a pinch or less.
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 8 garlic cloves (your preference-more or less if you like)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can water (from tomato can)
- cooking spray (Pam or your choice)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I use 1-2 packets Splenda substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the diced onion and green pepper in a large cooking pot using the cooking spray 5 or so minutes (until soft). Add the garlic and cook another minute or so. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- (As I explained above - I cook 2 Italian sausage links and cut into small pieces and add when adding all other ingredients (or cut off the casing and brown it). Serve over your choice of pasta (I use Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti at 170 calories w/ .5 gram fat and 5 grams fiber - 3 pts for 1 serving (2 oz uncooked))).