Recipe by Maureen in MA
Got this recipe from the Wegman's website. Sounds easy and healthy - baked vs. fried.
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Italian sauce, divided
- 2 eggplants, medium size (about 3/4 lbs ea)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated and divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 1.Spray bottom and sides of pan with cooking spray; spread bottom of pan with 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Top with overlapping layer of eggplant slices; drizzle with olive oil. Add even layer of bread crumbs; sprinkle with half the grated cheese. Season to taste with seasoned salt and cracked black pepper. Top with remaining sauce and remaining grated cheese.
- 2.Bake, covered, 40 min or until eggplant is tender. Remove from oven; top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, 2-3 min, until cheese melts. Let rest 15 min before serving.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil on top, if desired.