Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy meal to throw together on weeknights when you are busy with work, school, or sports.
Make and share this Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (Or Tacos or Taco-Burgers) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef (80 or 90% fat free)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 8 flour tortillas or 8 taco shells or 8 hamburger buns
- shredded cheddar cheese or colby cheese
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- In large skillet, brown ground beef over medium to medium-high heat. Drain off fat.
- Add in all spices. Stir in water, cooking over medium heat until water cooks off. (Water helps ensure even distribution of spices throughout meat).
- Stir in refried beans and green chilies. Heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Burritos: Warm flour tortillas in microwave or in oven. Spread meat and bean mixture on each flour tortilla. Garnish with preferred toppings. Enjoy.
- Tacos: Toast taco shells in oven according to package directions. (Note: toasting the taco shells is a MUST). Spoon meat and bean mixture into each taco shell. Garnish with preferred toppings.
- Taco-burgers: Toast hamburger buns in oven until light golden brown. Spread meat and bean mixture onto bottom half of buns. If making taco-burgers, you may want to substitute sliced cheese (such as American). Garnish with preferred toppings.
Great mix! I made burritos. Instead of ground beef, I used ground turkey, so no need to drain any fat. I cut the recipe down to serve 4 but used the full can of beans. Topped with cheddar and jack cheese, salsa and sour cream before rolling them. Tasty, quick dinner!
Made the Taco Burgers with this - halved everything for the two of us and used jalapeno refried beans, so left out the cayenne and green chilis (hubby sweats with anything spicier than catsup). Used 1/4 cup water, tho. Topped our burgers with fresh tomato and red onion slices and American cheese. He and I both thought they were great. Thanks for sharing.
I chose to make taco burgers, and boy they turned out great. Great combo of spices here as I made as written, and we all chose various topping from the list. This is defineately recommended for a quick dinner. If mixed well, you will have no complaints. Made for PRMR tag.