Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I always forget to pull meat out of the freezer for my husband before I go to work, so this invention came to me on a late Monday when I needed something yummy in a hurry.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove (I used the kind in the jar)
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 small diced white button mushrooms
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced pepperoni
- 1⁄4 cup Italian cheese blend
- For sauce:.
- Heat oil in small saucepan.
- Add garlic, onions, and mushrooms.
- Saute until soft.
- Stir in tomato paste and water.
- Add Italian seasoning, oregano, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and Simmer for about 15 minutes or until flavors have combined.
- Spread sauce on all 4 slices of bread.
- On 2 slices, add mozzarella and pepperoni to cover.
- Sprinkle mixed cheese to cover pepperoni.
- Top with the other 2 sourdough slices.
- Heat sandwiches until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- For extra toasty bread, I put the bread in a toaster on a light setting before cooking.
- To heat the sandwiches you can use stove top, baking, panini press, or (as I did) grill them on the foreman :).
I made these on a weeknight when I had of course forgotten to take meat out of the freezer. They were really good sandwiches, the sourdough bread was great with this. I used turkey pepperoni and just some shredded mozzarella cheese to try to make it slightly healthier. The sauce was good, too, the mushrooms and onions really give it a pizza taste.
Pizza in a sandwich - yum! I like mushrooms on my pizza so I added some sliced ones to the sandwich in addition to what was in the sauce. To heat my sandwich, I buttered both sides of the bread and grilled it like a grilled cheese sandwich. Thanks for posting this recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008