Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the most wonderful brunch casserole, but of coarse is good at anytime! I have also added in some cooked crumbled bacon on the top layer of the cheese. Be certain to only loosely cover/tent with foil or the cheese will stick to the foil when baking. This dish can be fully prepared, then covered with buttered foil and refrigerated up to 12 hours ahead then baked for brunch the following day. Cooking time does not include cooking the pork sausage.
Top Review by Becky in Wisconsin
PSST - don't tell anyone, but I didn't make this on a weekend or for brunch :lol:! But I did make it for supper and it was great. I have a tried and true recipe that I had used many times before, and now I see I can throw that one out, and replace it with this. I did use soy milk in place of the regular milk. Plus, I adjusted down to 6 eggs, and I used about a cup of sausage after it was cooked. I froze the rest for next time. The bread was amazing in this. I just cut thicker slices instead of halving the loaf. And I baked this in a 9x9 baking dish. Thanks for posting such a great recipe!!!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (more to grease the baking dish)
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs breakfast pork sausage (can use less)
- 1 loaf Italian bread (about 14-15 inches long, and about 4-inches wide)
- 24 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 3 -4 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with butter.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet breaking up into large pieces until browned (about 8-10 minutes) drain any fat and set the sausages aside to cool.
- Mix the minced garlic with the softened butter and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread a thin layer of the garlic butter on both sides of the cut side of the bread.
- Arrange the two bread slices side by side in the bottom of the baking dish (don't worry if the bread does not completely cover the bottom).
- Sprinkle the cooked crumbled sausage on top of the bread.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half until frothy about 3 minutes, then whisk in green onions and half of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage (the bread will float to the top, pushing down on the bread with a spatula to help the bread absorb the liquid).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake, or bake right away.
- Bake covered with a large piece of buttered foil (buttered-side down) for about 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the foil and bake until the top is slightly puffed and the eggs are cooked through (about another 20 minutes more).
- Let stand 10 minutes, then cut into squares.