Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by sandrak61
We recently found out that my daughter can't have gluten, so my usual scalloped potato recipe using flour is out of the picture now. I tried this one, since it doesn't have flour and it was fantastic!
I used half & half instead of cream, but other than that I made the recipe as written. Very good, better than my old standby recipe by far. This is my new scalloped potato recipe!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 2/3 c.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 425°.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat; add in the onions and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
- Cover, decrease heat to med-low, and continue to simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the potato mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and press gently into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, 20-30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.