Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Make and share this Weekday Scalloped Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 2/3 c.)
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 425°.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat; add in the onions and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
- Cover, decrease heat to med-low, and continue to simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the potato mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and press gently into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, 20-30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
We recently found out that my daughter can't have gluten, so my usual scalloped potato recipe using flour is out of the picture now. I tried this one, since it doesn't have flour and it was fantastic!
I used half & half instead of cream, but other than that I made the recipe as written. Very good, better than my old standby recipe by far. This is my new scalloped potato recipe!