1 hr 40 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 2/3 c.)
- 1Adjust oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 425°.
- 2Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat; add in the onions and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add in the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add in the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
- 5Cover, decrease heat to med-low, and continue to simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- 6Discard the bay leaves.
- 7Pour the potato mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and press gently into an even layer.
- 8Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- 9Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, 20-30 minutes.
- 10Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weekday Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.3
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 101.2 mg
- Sodium 770.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 12.5 g