Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Forget the box stuff when scratch made is healthier and tastes so much better.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- one 8 ounce box elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to box instructions. Drain.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in nonstick skillet on medium heat. Cook celery, onions, garlic, and peppers until translucent. Add ground beef, and cook until brown. Drain excess fat. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add macaroni and stir in one cup of cheddar cheese. Pour mixture into lightly greased 9 by 11 inch pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
Quick way to get in some comfort food! It does taste a bit like the "boxed stuff", but soooo much better. Really enjoyed this, and the leftovers heat up well too! Thanks for sharing! Made for Rookie tag game.
This recipe is so good and so much better than the boxed stuff. It is similar to what my mother called goulash. It tasted very authentic to what my Sicilian mother would serve up frequently. I doubled the recipe so that we would have leftovers for a couple of lunch and used 1 pound of mild bulk sausage because I only had 1 pound of hamburger when I went digging in my freezer, but kept the recipe the same besides that. Thanks so much for a keeper! Made for Rookie Recipe Tag ~Spring~.
This is a lovely recipe Miss Fannie. My dh & I enjoyed it very much. Quick, easy and very comforting. I used a 4 cheese tomato sauce and made the recipe exactly as written. A very tasty meal served with cornbread muffins. Thanks for sharing another winner.