Recipe by esther da pester
yup.. it's food from weeds! Pick some dandelion leaves, or nettles and make fritters. This is a greek recipe - called hortakeftedes. Horta means wild greens and anything can be used from spinach, to beetroot tops. Traditionally wild greens (weeds) are used which can have a lovely bitter taste. Suit yourself.
Top Review by hunnybees
I love dandelion and was looking for more ways to prepare it. This is an instant favorite! Very good tip in step one about not adding more milk as I too was tempted but the recipe works perfectly as written. Thanks!
- 250 g plain flour
- 60 g polenta
- 2 egg yolks, beaten up
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 250 g dandelion greens or 250 g nettles
Directions See How It's Made
- mix the flour, polenta, milk and egg yolks together in a bowl- it's very dry so of course i got carried away and added heaps of milk, but later the greens add wetness so resist.
- leave it somewhere peaceful to rest for 30 minutes.
- cook your weeds in boiling salted for 10 minutes with the garlic.
- drain and rinse in cold water then drain well.
- add garlic and greens to the floury mixture.
- season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- heat about 1cm of olive oil in a heavy frypan.
- shape mixture into fritters- add flour if too wet.
- fry 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- serve with yoghurt and cold beer.