Recipe by momaphet
This was adaptated from a cook book where each chapter was dedicated to special guest - in this case for the cookie chapter it was Mother Goose. When made with whole wheat pastry flour and leaving out the chocolate chips, I also refer to these as "better than Cheerios for breakfast cookies". My kids always loved them, especially with the chocolate chips! You can use smooth or chunky p'nut butter, and quick or old fashioned oats. These are a firm cookie, great for sack lunches. Cooking time is per cookie sheet.
Top Review by katew
Nice but erring on the dry side - I made this into a bar cookie slice due to lack of time and I also thought it might not be as dry as individual cookies. It seems to always be a bit of a problem with baking with peanut butter. We still enjoyed them and they are great with icecream as then it doesn't matter if they crumble !!! Made for ZWT8
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can sub all purpose)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- chopped nuts
- raisins or dry cranberries
- chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat together first 4 ingredients until creamy, add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and salt, add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in oats and any add-ins.
- form into 1" balls ( a small scoop helps) and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Note Don't use regular whole wheat flour the cookies will be too dry.