Recipe by momaphet
This was adaptated from a cook book where each chapter was dedicated to special guest - in this case for the cookie chapter it was Mother Goose. When made with whole wheat pastry flour and leaving out the chocolate chips, I also refer to these as "better than Cheerios for breakfast cookies". My kids always loved them, especially with the chocolate chips! You can use smooth or chunky p'nut butter, and quick or old fashioned oats. These are a firm cookie, great for sack lunches. Cooking time is per cookie sheet.
Top Review by HokiesMom
Tasty bundles of peanut butter goodness! I received 46 cookies out of the recipe using a small 1 tbls size scoop. They do not spread so you get this puffy cookie packed full of yumminess. I used the option of adding about 2/3 c mini chocolate chips to these and they turned out great. Next time I want to use dried cranberries. One little hint - near the end of baking cut the time by a minute or so as my last two trays were getting darker at 12 minutes than the first (could be my oven) but worth mentioning. 11 minutes would have been perfect for the last tray. Made for Photo Tag game.
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can sub all purpose)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- chopped nuts
- raisins or dry cranberries
- chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat together first 4 ingredients until creamy, add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and salt, add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in oats and any add-ins.
- form into 1" balls ( a small scoop helps) and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Note Don't use regular whole wheat flour the cookies will be too dry.