Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I used to make this all of the time and then lost the recipe. I finally found after the move to FL while emptying out the gazillion boxes of books.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 10 ounces condensed French onion soup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 6 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef.
- Break up the pieces into tiny rice like pieces.
- Drain well.
- Using a blender, process the can of onion soup with 1/2 of the ground beef mixture.
- Blend until it looks like cement mortar.
- Place beef mixture and remainining ground beef into a large saucepan.
- Add chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cocoa powder, cans of kidney beans, tomato paste, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and V-8 juice.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for a least one hour.
- I usually make mine in a crock pot on low for 8 hours after browning the beef and blending 1/2 of it in the onion soup.
I haven't Wendy's Chili so I can't compare but I really enjoyed this! I made it just as is and it was very good. Kind of a cross between coney dog sauce and chili.