Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
A tasty Chicken soup like nothing you've ever tasted.Popular in the Cleveland,Pittsburgh and Youngstown area.
- 2 whole chicken (for soup)
- 24 cups water
- 24 cups chicken broth (Mixed with water)
- 3 bunches endive
- 3 bunches escarole
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 lb carrot, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs meatballs (use your own recipe)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- salt and pepper
- Boil chickens in mixture of water and broth until fully cooked, Approximately 2 hours.
- Remove chickens from pot.
- Skim off excess chicken fat.
- Clean meat off bones and place diced up chicken in broth mixture.
- Wash and tear up Endive and Escerole and add to broth.
- Add diced onion, Parsley and Carrots Cook on med low until endive and escarole are cooked down.
- Drop in uncooked mini meatballs (these can be made in advance).
- Bring back to boil and cook for another 30 minute.
- In a mixing bowl place 2 eggs and beat.
- With soup in a rolling boil SLOWLY stir in beaten egg (eggs should string through soup).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- This soup is even better the second day.
This is THE real wedding soup!!!!
This is a very good soup. I have made it a number of times now. Thank you for sharing this.
Pretty good stuff some like it with pastina.