Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From TOH Simple & Delicious mag Sept/Oct 2008.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups acini di pepe pasta (or small pasta shells)
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup onion and bread crumbs. Crunble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and remaining onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add the spinach, broth, chicken, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved meatballs. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.