Recipe by Buster's friend
Eggplant dressing is a staple in Louisiana. This recipe is from The Times-Picayune who note the couple who created it for their weddding included the recipe in their wedding program & the newspaper! Gots to love it. Anyway, anticipating lots of eggplant here this summer (go White Lightning!) & this recipe is noted to handle freezing well. I bet these would be awesome plunked frozen into a deep fat fryer (but then again, what isn't? LOL).
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 white onion (small)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled (chopped if large)
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, chopped, cooked
- creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, to thicken
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine; saute onions and bell pepper until soft. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Add eggplants and creole seasoning; cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Add eggs; when cooked, add bread crumbs and cheese to thicken. Form into balls and heat on baking sheet for 10 minutes in 350-degree oven. May be frozen before baking.