Amy - Ellie's Mommie's Note:
I modified this recipe from the B H & G cookbook for a friend's wedding. This recipe is really flavorful and the sauce is awesome! I would make some extra sauce on top of the stove because everyone will want more. The usual Chicken Saltimbocca recipes call for tomato inside, but my friends wouldn't hear of that, and no one really missed it. Baking the chicken instead of doing the whole thing on the stovetop gets the flavor of the sauce into the meat like you wouldn't believe! You could add some white wine to the sauce; just add extra flour for thickening. A little shredded cheese on top of the chicken before baking would be tasty, too. Word of advice - do not try to cater a wedding for 70 people from a 1 bedroom apartment. Also, it is really funny watching 5 people pound chicken on the living room floor (ON CUTTING BOARDS! EWWWW! No carpet fuzz in the recipe!) (Prep time/cook time is approximate - I made this for 70 people so it took me a couple of days to get all the steps done and I pre-cooked the chicken before I served it.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded 1/8 inch thin
- 4 slices prosciutto or 4 slices other cured ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 toothpicks
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2First, buy your chicken pre-pounded.
- 3Pay the extra.
- 4It is worth it.
- 5If you decide to pound your own chicken, place the chicken breast smooth side facing you on a piece of plastic wrap.
- 6Fold the sides of the SAME PIECE of plastic wrap around the chicken and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet, a rolling pin or a cookbook.
- 7If you use a separate piece of plastic wrap, you run the risk of tiny little chicken guts all over you and your kitchen.
- 9Stomping on it will not work.
- 10Pound until 1/8" thin.
- 11Place pounded chicken smooth side down on the cutting board.
- 12Lay a piece of prosciutto on each piece of chicken.
- 13Lay a piece of cheese on each piece of chicken.
- 14Fold in the long sides of the chicken breast about 1/4" (just enough to keep the whole package together), then roll from the short end of the chicken breast like a cigar.
- 15Hold packet together with toothpicks.
- 16In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until it sizzles, but is not smoking.
- 17Place chicken packets in pan FOLDED SIDE DOWN.
- 18Brown chicken packets on all sides evenly.
- 19Remove from pan and place in a baking dish.
- 20In the same pan, melt the butter over med-low heat.
- 21Add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- 22Add mushrooms and cook until soft and slightly browned and tender.
- 23Remove from heat.
- 24In a small bowl, mix cream, sour cream, flour and spices.
- 25Add to mushroom mixture in saute pan.
- 26Return pan to low heat.
- 27Stir over low heat until smooth and thick.
- 28Pour sauce over chicken.
- 29Put chicken and sauce into 400 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is not longer pink (depending on how done it got during the browning stage).
- 30Serve with wide egg noodles and extra sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wedding Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.1
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 164.6 mg
- Sodium 276.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 35.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: