Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
My husband goes bonkers over wedding cake but it has to be REAL wedding cake icing!! This is easy and is just right.
- 1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons clear vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blend all ingredients at low speed on mixer till well blended and easy to work with.
- Spread on cake after cake is completely cooled.
- This is enough frosting for 1 - 2 layer cake or 1 sheet cake.
This is close to my recipe. The teaspoon of salt per pound of powdered sugar is the magic bullet. It makes the frosting not sickening sweet. I use 1/2 tsp. Wilton butter flavoring and 1 tsp. vanilla. I use water instead of milk so it can sit out at a wedding. If milk is in it, you only have a 4 hour window for food safety. You lose a lot of that time just making it so I use water. I will only use Crisco. I've tried other brands and Crisco is way better tasting in my opinion.
My husband is nutso for frosting, but mine has always been lacking, till now. I love this. SOOO easy to put together and spreads and holds perfectly. Thank you so very much this is the yummyest I ever made or had for that matter!
This is a good frosting recipe. If you beat it for a couple of minutes it becomes light and fluffy. My only complaint is that this recipe is too salty for my taste (and I LOVE salt). I would cut down the salt by at least 1/2 a tsp.