Recipe by angelfan
This came from an old country cookbook. it can be scaled down for smaller weddings. It takes a bit of effort but the results are worth it in flavor.
Top Review by bizzymomma
I had great luck with this cake. The taste was better than any other white cake recipe I have tried (that doesn't use a box mix)! It was perfect texture and was moist. This is better on day 2, as most homemade white cakes are! I followed the recipe as it is written. Next time I might cut the vanilla down by 1/4 tsp and replace it with the almond. This has now become my go-to recipe for white cake!!!!!!!!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- sift together flour, bp and salt twice.
- beat egg whites until foamy.
- add 6 Tbs sugar, 1Tbs at a time beating until mixture stands in soft peaks.
- cream shortening, add 1 2/3 cup sugar, cream until light and fluffy, add vanilla and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after eah addition until smooth.
- Add egg whites and beat for one minute until smooth.
- Grease pans two nine inch square pans or one 13x9x2.
- Bake in moderate oven 350, square pans take 30 to 40 min oblong pan 35 to40.
- Cool cake on racks 10 minute.
- Loosen from sides of pan turn right side up to cool.
- To keep from drying cover or wrap cake as soon as cooled.
- Make recipe 5 times to serve 100 guest.
- When cake is assembled frost the sides of whole cake.
- Start at the top and work toward bottom layers.
- Ornamental frosting: 12 cup butter 1/2 tsp salt 12 cup confectioners sugar sifted 5 egg whites unbeaten 1/2 cup cream 2 tsp vanilla.
- Cream butter, add salt gradually add about 1 cup of the sugar, blending well.
- Add creaming sugar alternately with egg whites. Cream until right consistency to spread.
- Aply a thin glaze to cake before frosting to anchor crumbs.
- Make glaze by adding hot water to some of the frosting.
- About 1 tbs water to 1 cup frosting.
- To tint frosting add about 1/4 tsp food color with 1 tbs frosting, add small amounts of this to your base frosting.
- Tint enough to frost whole cake as it is hard to match colors with another batch.