1/1 Photo of Wedding Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This came from an old country cookbook. it can be scaled down for smaller weddings. It takes a bit of effort but the results are worth it in flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1sift together flour, bp and salt twice.
- 2beat egg whites until foamy.
- 3add 6 Tbs sugar, 1Tbs at a time beating until mixture stands in soft peaks.
- 4cream shortening, add 1 2/3 cup sugar, cream until light and fluffy, add vanilla and almond extract.
- 5Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after eah addition until smooth.
- 6Add egg whites and beat for one minute until smooth.
- 7Grease pans two nine inch square pans or one 13x9x2.
- 8Bake in moderate oven 350, square pans take 30 to 40 min oblong pan 35 to40.
- 9Cool cake on racks 10 minute.
- 10Loosen from sides of pan turn right side up to cool.
- 11To keep from drying cover or wrap cake as soon as cooled.
- 12Make recipe 5 times to serve 100 guest.
- 13When cake is assembled frost the sides of whole cake.
- 14Start at the top and work toward bottom layers.
- 15Ornamental frosting: 12 cup butter 1/2 tsp salt 12 cup confectioners sugar sifted 5 egg whites unbeaten 1/2 cup cream 2 tsp vanilla.
- 16Cream butter, add salt gradually add about 1 cup of the sugar, blending well.
- 17Add creaming sugar alternately with egg whites. Cream until right consistency to spread.
- 18Aply a thin glaze to cake before frosting to anchor crumbs.
- 19Make glaze by adding hot water to some of the frosting.
- 20About 1 tbs water to 1 cup frosting.
- 21To tint frosting add about 1/4 tsp food color with 1 tbs frosting, add small amounts of this to your base frosting.
- 22Tint enough to frost whole cake as it is hard to match colors with another batch.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wedding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.2
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 134.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g