Recipe by Mexi-Rosie
This cake was served at my younger sister's wedding. I literally could not stop eating it and sneaked out a good sized chunk of it to take home.
Top Review by bronzeallspice
i made this cake last saturday and it was delicious!took some to work for my fellow empoyees to try and they have requested the recipe.go ing to make another one this sunday to take to work.i did add one cup of butter intead of 1/2 and it came out very buttery which is why my co workers loved it.also i used cake flour,but i didn't sift it. this is definitely a keeper.will make again and again.thanks mexi- rosie. definitely a keeper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted three times
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon quality almond extract
- 2 egg whites, beaten to frosting stage
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In beater, cream butter and then add eggs, one at a time continuing beating,add milk, alternating with pre-sifted dry ingredients, beating all the time.
- Add almond extract. Pour into greased and floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350° C (convert to Fahrenheit) until tested with a drinking straw, it comes out clean.
- Instructions for Frosting:
- Beat whites to stiff peaks stage, and add the sugar very gradually, without stopping beating.
- Add the almond extract and then the ground or chopped almonds.
- Mix everything and frost the cake, in pan or out of it.
- Put again in moderate-heat oven just for a few minutes for frosting to brown a bit.
- Let cool and serve.