2 hrs 15 mins
These "Man-shaped" breads are made especially for St. Martin's Day in Germany on November 11.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 grated lemon peel
- 1/4 ounce fast rising yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 4 eggs
- 6 2/3 cups flour
- 1Mix yeast with warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- 2Combine milk, butter, shortening, and sugar, in a saucepan and heat gently then set aside to cool.
- 3Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle of the flour.
- 4Pour yeast mixture into the flour well, cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- 5Add milk mixture to flour and mix all the ingredients together.
- 6Knead into a ball, dust with flour and let rise for 45 minutes.
- 7Roll dough and divide into 10 pieces to form into gingerbread men shaped Weckmänner.
- 8Place the Weckmänner on a large baking sheet covered with baking or wax paper, making sure to leave enough room between each shape.
- 9Let rise for a further 20 to 45 minutes.
- 10Brush with egg and water mixture, decorate with raisins and dried cranberries for the eyes and buttons.
- 11Bake at 325 to 350F for 10-15 minutes.
- 12*Note: A traditional Weckmann in Germany would have a clay pipe in his mouth.
Nutritional Facts for Weckmann
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.5
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 125.4 mg
- Sodium 93.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: