Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
These "Man-shaped" breads are made especially for St. Martin's Day in Germany on November 11.
- Mix yeast with warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Combine milk, butter, shortening, and sugar, in a saucepan and heat gently then set aside to cool.
- Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle of the flour.
- Pour yeast mixture into the flour well, cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Add milk mixture to flour and mix all the ingredients together.
- Knead into a ball, dust with flour and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Roll dough and divide into 10 pieces to form into gingerbread men shaped Weckmänner.
- Place the Weckmänner on a large baking sheet covered with baking or wax paper, making sure to leave enough room between each shape.
- Let rise for a further 20 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg and water mixture, decorate with raisins and dried cranberries for the eyes and buttons.
- Bake at 325 to 350F for 10-15 minutes.
- *Note: A traditional Weckmann in Germany would have a clay pipe in his mouth.