Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 hrs
I can't remember where I found this basic recipe, but I tweaked it into a wonderful, zippy marinara sauce. I use it mostly for meatball subs, but it's also incredible spread over perfect, al dente pasta! I encourage you to try it exactly as the recipe desribes. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce (regular)
- 2 garlic cloves (largish cloves, finely diced)
- 1⁄2 cup white onion (finely diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (dehydrated)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons kraft grated 100% parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat saucepan over medium heat; once hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Saute diced onion until slightly translucent (about 2-3 mins).
- Add diced garlic and crushed chilies; saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and water.
- Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer.
- Add pepper, parsley, oregano, basil and parmesan cheese; stir.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Add sugar and salt (to taste); stir well.
- Let simmer 45 mins, stirring occasionally.