Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From: Weber's Big Book of Grilling Here’s a technique that delivers great-tasting chicken and makes a lively conversation starter as well. We’ve used one of our special rubs, but you can sub in 2 to 3 tablespoons of your favorite one. Bottoms up!
For the rub
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the chicken
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole chickens
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can beer (tall boy)
- To make the rub: In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.
- Remove and discard the neck, giblets, and any excess fat from the chicken.
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly spray or brush all over with the vegetable oil and season, inside and out, with the rub.
- Open the beer can and pour off half of the beer.
- Set the half-full can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity.
- Transfer the bird to the grill, keeping the can upright.
- Carefully balance the bird on its two legs and the can.
- Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Wearing barbecue mitts, carefully remove the chicken and the can from the grill, being careful not to spill the beer – it will be hot.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting it from the can.
- Discard the beer.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- My note: This can be cooked in a hot oven if the weather is not amiable to outdoor cooking.
This chicken is indeed fabulous. When we bought our Weber grill we were given a copy of the their grilling guide which included this recipe. It is our absolute favourite grilled chicken recipe. Thx for posting so that others can enjoy this recipe Chef Shadows.
Well written recipe. Wonderful different chicken and I just thought it was perfect! Lolly