Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Perfect for a bridal or baby shower, luncheon or holiday party, this savory meat and cheese sandwich will impress your guests with its layer cake appearance. Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 1 (1 lb) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced roast beef
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced turkey
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced ham
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 1⁄2 cup radish sprouts or 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 4 -5 leaves leaf lettuce
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons honey mustard
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- green olives, for garnish (optional)
- You will also need: 1 8-inch round cake pan, 3" deep.
- Spray 8 inch cake pan with non stick spray.
- Form the thawed dough into an 8-inch round loaf and press into cake pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool 5 minutes and then remove from pan and cool thoroughly.
- Once cooled cut the loaf horizontally into 4 equal slices, (these will be the"cake" layers).
- To assemble the"cake", line the same baking pan with enough plastic wrap to hang over all sides 8 inches.
- Spread bottom slice of bread with 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of horseradish.
- Top with roast beef, provolone& roasted red peppers.
- Spread second slice of bread with remaining butter& horseradish and place it horseradish side down on top of roast beef layer.
- Spread the top of the second bread slice with 2 tbsp mayonnaise and then top with turkey, swiss cheese and sprouts.
- Spread third slice of bread with remaining mayonnaise and place mayo side down on top of turkey layer.
- Spread top of third bread layer with 2 tbsp honey mustard and top with lettuce, ham and cheddar cheese.
- Spread cut side of loaf top (fourth layer) with remaining honey mustard and place mustard side down on top of ham layer.
- Place assembled"cake" in plastic lined pan and bring plastic wrap around cake to cover.
- Refrigerate 4 hours, (to make the cake more compact and easier to"ice" place a large pan on top of the cake and weigh down with heavy object such as canned food while refrigerating).
- To ice the"cake", beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until light& fluffy.
- Carefully remove cake from 8 in pan, unwrap and place on cake serving platter.
- Using an offset spatula neatly spread the top and sides of the"cake" with cream cheese.
- Using a#21 tip, pipe remaining cream cheese along bottom to make shell border and then garnish with olives at every second shell.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
What a great idea! I am making it tonight for a party.
What type of bread did you use? I could only find rolls and breadsticks in my area