Recipe by Treewoman
I first made this in 1973 as a newlywed. Because it was the only recipe I knew, I took it to every family gathering. What started as kind of a joke became one of our family's favorite traditions. Yes, we know it's not low-cal, nor particularly healthy, but we love it anyway. No marshmallows allowed! Make this the day before for best results.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice
- 6 ounces lime gelatin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups cottage cheese (lowfat is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Day before serving: In large strainer, over large measuring cup, drain pineapple, reserving liquid. Add enough water to the drained pineapple juice to measure 2 cups.
- In medium saucepan over high heat, heat liquid to boiling; stir in gelatin and salt until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.
- In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cottage cheese and mayo until blended. Reduce speed to low and beat in pineapple, nuts and gelatin mixture.
- Pour into 8 cup mold or bowl. Refrigerate til set.