Recipe by byZula
I used to waitress in a restaurant back home where I had my first taste of fish chowder that I actually liked.(I'm picky!) Chef Waz was so glad I liked it that he produced the recipe for me the very day I asked for it!!
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 quarts fish bouillon cubes
- 2 large bermuda onions, minced
- 6 -8 stalks celery, minced
- 4 carrots, minced
- 6 ounces outerbridges sherry pepper sauce (or other good brand)
- 2 ounces goslings black seal rum (or other good rum)
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs fresh light meat fish (like Wahoo, Bonito, AmberJack or even frozen cod)
- 2 ounces crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 ounce leaf oregano
- 1⁄2 ounce dried leaf basil
- 1⁄2 ounce crushed black peppercorns
- salt, to taste
- granulated sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions, carrots and the celery with the fish until the fish until the fish is cooked to the point that it breaks up.
- Add the rum, the sherry peppers sauce, the peppercorns, the garlic and the herbs and stir. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then add the tomato products and the fish bouillon.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While you are simmering it helps to mix with a whisk to ensure all the fish breaks up.
- (That is of course optional for the people that would like larger pieces of fish).
- Bermuda fish chowder is traditionally served with more black rum and sherry pepper sauce to be added to suit the taste of the individual eating it.