Recipe by Sharon in Ontario. Canada
This is a recipe printed in our home town newspaper years ago. It stated this was Wayne's favourite recipe for chili con carne. It has a good mix of tastes and textures and the surprise ingredient, pineapple, adds a cool refreshing finish.
- 1 kg ground beef
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 1 (796 ml) can tomatoes
- 1 (540 ml) can kidney beans
- 2 (398 ml) cans baked beans
- 1 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (540 ml) can pineapple chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef in a frying pan over low heat until a small amount of melted fat forms.
- Stir in green pepper, celery and onions.
- Raise heat to medium and cook until vegetables are soft and beef has lost its pink color (about 10 min.).
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, beans and seasonings.
- Simmer over low heat 30- 45 min.
- ,stirring often.
- Add drained pineapple chunks just before serving.
- If desired, mixture can be thinned with juice of drained pineapple.