Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a good, basic lasagna recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs ground beef (a combination of 2 lbs ground beef and 1 lb ground pork is really good!)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb ricotta cheese or 1 lb cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 3⁄4 cup freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 10 -12 lasagna noodles (I use no-boil)
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet, heat olive oil and cook ground beef until well-browned.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Mix in Italian seasoning, sugar, oregano, cinnamon, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix ricotta cheese, eggs, salt, basil, pepper, parsley and Parmesan cheese together.
- Set aside.
- In a greased 9x13-inch pan, layer noodles, 1/3 of cheese mixture, 1/3 of meat mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into pieces.
Perfect! I made this for our recent vacation to Manitoulin Island. I doubled the recipe and put both ricotta and cottage cheese in and omitted the cinnamon. I cooked and then froze them. I added a can of spagetti sauce and shredded mozarella on top of both 9 x 12 pyrex dishes before reheating them in the sauna (let it warm all day). It was phenominal!!
Evelyn, this was just awesome!!! Wish I could give it MORE stars!!! So simple to follow...The taste was just outstanding! This is a new family KEEPER in my house!!! I did use Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, because Cheyenne prefers it....Excellent recipe! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!! :)