Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I first tasted this sweet, different version of Chex mix at a Watkins home-demo party. Almost everyone went home from the party with a copy of this recipe. The maple flavor extract is the secret ingredient. Plan ahead - once cooked, this will need to cool before serving.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted (1 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 8 cups Chex cereal (any flavor - they used a mixture of corn, rice, and wheat flavor)
- 1 cup mixed chopped nuts, to taste
- Melt butter or margarine in a large microwavable bowl big enough to hold all of the cereal& nuts later (about 2 quarts)- don't put the cereal& nuts in yet, though.
- If your microwave is very small, you may need to make half batches.
- Once melted, quickly whisk in brown sugar and maple extract.
- Stir in the cereal and the nuts until coated and return bowl to microwave and cook on HIGH heat 4-5 minutes, stirring after every minute.
- Spread out mix onto cookie sheets lined with wax paper and let cool.
- Break apart and store in an airtight container.
What a yummy snack! I used margarine in place of the butter, and substituted mini-pretzels for the nuts to make it a little healthier. It's nice and crunchy and has a great maple flavor! I'll definitely be making this again.
My husband and I used to sell Watkins Products @ home parties & made this as a demo. This recipe always ended up w/lots of sales of maple extract! Adults and kids alike love it. It's easy to make and is portable, too!
This was ok. I was expecting more maple flavor. It could've been that I used imitation maple flavor instead of a good quality extract? I'm not sure. I ended up throwing out most of the batch because I decided it wasn't good enough to be worth the calories.