2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
The Mad Slovak's Note:
From the Watershed Restaurant (Decatur, GA) recipe page. I saw a food program on TV recently that showed their executive sous-chef making this. It looked so good I decided that I might just include it in my Thanksgiving menu, but so as not to use my dinner guests as guinea pigs, I made it the other day to evaluate. It's going on the menu! Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs small sweet potatoes (about 10 potatoes)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ceylon cinnamon (or ground cinnamon sticks)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (white)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (to grease the baking dish)
- 1TO MAKE:.
- 2Wash the sweet potatoes and put them on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
- 3Bake in preheated 350F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until they are very tender.
- 4Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before peeling.
- 5Put the peeled sweet potatoes into the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or a whip attachment.
- 6Mix the hot sweet potatoes on low speed to begin mashing them.
- 7Add the butter and mix until it is absorbed.
- 8Add the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and both sugars and mix until they are thoroughly blended.
- 9Add the lightly beaten eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- 10Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the heated milk.
- 11When the milk is incorporated, taste carefully for seasoning and add more salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, or sugar as needed.
- 12Thoroughly grease a 9x13x2 inch baking dish with the softened butter and pour the sweet potato mixture into it.
- 13THE TOPPING:.
- 14Put the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- 15Use your fingers to work the chilled butter into the mixture until it resembles oatmeal with some large pea size pieces of butter in it.
- 16Stir in the chopped pecans and mix well.
- 17Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- 18Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30 to 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crisp and the sweet potatoes are set but still slightly loose in the center.
- 19Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watershed Restaurant Sweet Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.2
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.6 mg
- Sodium 549.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 59.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g