Recipe by drhousespcatcher
A nice summertime recipe that calls for only raw ingredients and no cooking time. Lovely blend of flavors with no one flavor dominating. Used the Blender to puree. Done rapidly with no heat and would be very good for leftover watermelon. Cooking here is chill time.
Top Review by Joelle S.
Well...it would have been nice to read about the bitters in the ingredients rather than in the directions and note in step 6. I cannot rate this fairly until I try it with a milder jalapeno - even my Mexican husband said it was too hot, and I will have to see if I can find bitters somewhere in my podunk town.
- 3 cups watermelon, seed and puree
- 1 cup seeded watermelon, diced small
- 1 cup seeded tomatoes, diced small
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- fresh parsley leaves, see directions note
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 green onion, white
- 1 inch green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Seed and puree the watermelon.
- Then combine the watermelon puree with the diced watermelon, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, lime juice, parsley, ginger, jalapeno, green onion, bitters and salt. Note the authors recommend you use a large bowl but you see that empty watermelon shell over there? Hey it makes a great serving container and you don't have to wash it.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with pepper and salt to taste. Use any other desired seasonings to taste.
- Serve with chilled serving bowls or chill for approx four hours then serve or using a large bowl, place in chilled serving bowls and serve immediately.
- Note: Parsley leaves should be one small handful. the bitters are NOT optional.
- Original was from the Philadelphia Inq. 7/13/05.