Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
This recipe is from the July issue of Food and Wine. The recipe is from Bobby Flay for his July 4th Burger Bash in the Hamptons. The author states,"When watermelon is in abundance, this is a great way to use it. Flay purees seedless watermelon chunks, then strains the juice through a sieve and mixes it with silver tequila, sugar syrup, blueberries, mint and fresh lime juice.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 8 cups watermelon, seedless, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup mint, fresh, lightly packed
- 8 sprigs mint, for garnish
- 1 1⁄4 cups tequila, silver
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and mint. Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.