Recipe by Bev
What a delicious way to use up some of that summer supply of watermelon! This recipe uses a simple syrup ( recipe follows). Cook time reflects time to chill watermelon in freezer. I found this on the Food Network. The name has been changed to protect the innocent ;) as well as some of the ingredients to suit my personal preferences. This drink is also very good with light Rum or Coconut Rum to replace the vodka! I haven't tested it with Lemon Flavored Vodka, yet, but I imagine that would also be good.
- 8 cups watermelon, diced (remove seeds)
- 8 ounces lemon-flavored vodka, chilled
- 17 1⁄2 ounces coconut juice (canned)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- diced watermelon
- 1 lemon, sliced
Simple Syrup (use 7 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put diced watermelon in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- ** (see note)Combine watermelon, vodka, coconut juice and 7 oz of simple syrup in a blender and puree until smooth>>(** You may find, like I did, that all your ingredients will not fit into your blender. In this case, blend your watermelon, pour pureed watermelon into large pitcher, adding remaining ingredients to pitcher and mix thoroughly.).
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon (about 1/2 tsp).
- Run lemon slice around top of tall glass, then dip rim in sugar.
- Serve well chilled, and garnish with watermelon and/or lemon slices.
- To Make Simple Syrup:.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.