Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An unusual salad featuring watermelon, co-starring honeydew and cantaloupe. For ZWT, classified as Southwest for the lime dressing's TexMex flair.
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup honeydew melon, cubed
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup vidalia onions or 1⁄4 cup other sweet onion, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- Whisk lime juice, honey, mint, and oil together until honey is dissolved.
- Combine the melons and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss melon mixture with lime dressing to coat.
- Garnish with salt and pepper to taste.
Made for ZWT 7: This recipes is delicious and refreshing! I used fresh mint from my garden and chopped chives instead of the onion as I had no onion on hand. The combination of the herbs with the melon and lime dressing is uniquie and just bursting with summertime flavour. I highly recommend this salad!
I love watermelon and honeydew so this is right up my taste buds. OK I must admit I was nervous with the onions and the pepper ingredients but NOT ANYMORE! I just touched the pepper shaker I admit but the flavors were to die for! I loved the flavor combination and how wonderful to serve this during the summer for picnics instead of jus tthe plain watermelon-melon sald. I tossed on a few mint leaves whole for garnish to pretty up. That lasted less than a second as the guys dug in. I loved it thank you Lori. Made for ZWT2011 The Shady Ladies.
I served this for the first summer BBQ of the year, and it was universally loved. The comments I got were "very fresh tasting" and "refreshing". The combination of lime and mint really made the melon sing. Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers