Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon harissa or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs seedless watermelon, rind removed,fruit sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pitted oil-cured black olive, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 c.)
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the watermelon slices on a platter and sprinkle with the onion, parsley, olives and feta.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.
Thanks Dancer^ for another great recipe. I have to tell you I hate watermelon, but after having a similar dish at a friends, I'm converted (in this salad only;-)) I made a half recipe for an appetiser for us last night. It's sweet, salty, sour, hot, has some really interesting textures, and is so simple to assemble. The other version I ate of this included mint leaves, so I added some to yours Dancer^. I also used a generous grinding of sea salt which it seemed to need. There are a few of these watermelon/feta salads on 'zaar, but this didn't look too acidic. You want all the flavours to stand out-and they did.
Everyone at our July 4th barbecue liked this salad. I brought all of the components packed separately and then just before eating, tossed everything together. I just now realized that I forgot the lemon juice in the dressing. Even without the lemon juice, the salad was very good.
Love it! I used a whole large red sweet onion and a bit more feta. And plenty salt and black pepper. Winning combination!