Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe source: Shopper's newsletter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups watermelon, diced and seeded
- 2 cups cucumbers, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- In a salad bowl combine vinegar and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add watermelon, cucumber and cilantro and toss.
- Top with peanuts and toss again.
This was quick to prepare and looked and tasted sensational! Such a welcome recipe when the temperature over the past few days has twice been around 108°F-109°F. I didn’t have any rice vinegar, so I used red wine vinegar and I added just a teaspoon of brown sugar, as the watermelon was very sweet. The watermelon and cucumber tasted fabulous together (I used a Lebanese cucumber so left it unpeeled) and I used cashews instead of peanuts as I rarely buy peanuts but always have cashews on hand. They provided a lovely textural variety. Thank you for this wonderful recipe which I’ll be making a lot over the next few months as we’ve been promised a long hot summer!
I think it would be better if the cucumbers had been allowed to marinate before adding the watermelon. I used brown sugar instead of white.