Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Light Magazine, anything with this summer favorite melon seems perfect for hot weather. For this recipe, you'll need the rind of a five-pound melon. Use the white inner rind, not the outer green part, which might have been waxed. Shred the rind with the large holes of a box grater, or cut it into chunks and shred it in a food processor. Serve the relish with ham or fish, or stir a little into steamed carrots.
- 3 quarts water
- 6 cups shredded watermelon rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rind; cook 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in pan; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in watermelon rind; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Cool; pour relish into airtight containers.
- Note: Refrigerate Watermelon Rind Relish in airtight containers up to two months.