1/2 Photos of Watermelon Rind Preserves Old Time
Ms. B's Note:
This is an old time recipe that my mother and grandmothers used to make pear preserves. They used whole cinnamon sticks and cloves, but I've used ground and they taste good too. I experimented with watermelon rinds and found that the basic recipe works just as good. I did cut back on the sugar, originally it calls for 2 parts fruit to 1 part sugar, which is a bit much for my liking. The end result is a syrupy sweet fruit preserve, not like the preserves that are store bought, so don't expect store bough consistency. These are good old time simplicity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim green peel and red flesh from watermelon. Cut rind into small cubes (14-16 cups).
- 2Place cubed rind into stainless steel pot (Dutch oven size) and add one part sugar to two parts rind (I use little less sugar in my recipe). Let sit until sugar dissolves, a couple or hours or overnight (preferably overnight). Rind and sugar should have made its own liquid.
- 3Start cooking on medium, checking and stirring until it starts to boil, about 20-30 minutes.
- 4Add thinly sliced lemon, juice and zest of the other lemon. Stir in ground or whole spices of your choice.
- 5Turn down heat to low and cook on low heat until rinds are translucent, checking and stirring often (don’t want the sugar to burn). (Approximately 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours more or less, until rinds are translucent).
- 6If using red food coloring, add a few drops to desired color at this point, stir well.
- 7Seal in prepared jars, clean jars, lids and rings placed in boiling water until ready to fill. Approximately (8) 1/2 pint jars, (16) 1/4 pint jars, or (4) pint jars.
- 8Immediately after filling jars I like to turn them upside down for 5-10 minutes, supposedly to help them seal.
- 9Optional instead of ground spices add with lemons:
- 10Cinnamon sticks (eight short pieces, 1 for each jar).
- 11Whole cloves (16-32 cloves, 2-4 for each jar).
- 12Grated fresh ginger (1 tablespoon).
- 13Red food coloring.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon Rind Preserves Old Time
Serving Size: 1 (1061 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 125.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: