Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I remember my mother making these as a child (She never wastes anything!) This is a way to make an otherwise "garbage" item very delicious.
- To prepare watermelon rind: Trim green skin and pink flesh from thick watermelon rind.
- Cut into 1" pices.
- Dissolve salt in 2 quarts water and pour over rind.
- Let stand 5-6 hours.
- Drain; rinse and drain again.
- Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle ginger over rind; cover with water and cook until fork-tender.
- Combine sugar, lemon juice and 7 cups water.
- Boil 5 minutes; add rind and boil gently for 30 minutes.
- Add sliced lemon and cook until the melon rind is clear.
- Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust caps.
- Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.
I am so happy that I found this recipe and must say that it is totally worth the effort! This was my first time ever making preserves and canning on my own w/o my MIL to help and they came out perfect. I only got 5 8-ounce jars but I think it was do to cutting up my rinds. Thank you again for posting and I will put up a picture soon!