7 hrs 20 mins
Bertha C.'s Note:
I remember my mother making these as a child (She never wastes anything!) This is a way to make an otherwise "garbage" item very delicious.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1To prepare watermelon rind: Trim green skin and pink flesh from thick watermelon rind.
- 2Cut into 1" pices.
- 3Dissolve salt in 2 quarts water and pour over rind.
- 4Let stand 5-6 hours.
- 5Drain; rinse and drain again.
- 6Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle ginger over rind; cover with water and cook until fork-tender.
- 10Combine sugar, lemon juice and 7 cups water.
- 11Boil 5 minutes; add rind and boil gently for 30 minutes.
- 12Add sliced lemon and cook until the melon rind is clear.
- 13Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space.
- 14Remove air bubbles.
- 15Adjust caps.
- 16Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon Rind Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (4500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1562.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 133.4 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: