Recipe by Cindy Lynn
This is the other watermelon rind pickle recipe we use. The ginger makes a nice flavor alternative to the allspice in our other family favorite.
- 4 quarts prepared watermelon rind
- 3 tablespoons pickling lime
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pieces gingerroot
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 8 cups sugar
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 quart water
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare watermelon rind: Trim dark skin and pink flesh from thick watermelon rind; cut in 1-inch pieces or as wanted.
- Dissolve lime in 2 quarts water, pour over rind.
- If needed, add more water to cover rind.
- Let stand 2 hours.
- Drain: rinse and cover rind with cold water.
- Cook until just tender; drain.
- Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
- Combine spices with remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add watermelon rind and simmer until clear.
- Add boiling water if syrup becomes too thick before rind is clear.
- Remove spice bag.
- Pack, boiling hot, into sterilized mason jars, leaving 1/8-inch head space.
- Adjust caps and allow to seal.