1/3 Photos of Watermelon Rind Pickles
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Cindy Lynn's Note:
Mom made these when I was a kid and they were quite a treat. I sometimes make them for my own family and they don't last long. They are such an unusual food that they make for quite the conversation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs watermelon rind
- 2 cups vinegar (white)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 1Pare watermelon rind and remove all pink portions.
- 2Cut rind into 1 x 2 inch pieces about 1 inch thick or into 3/4 by 1 inch cubes.
- 4Soak rind overnight in brine made by dissolving 1/4 cup salt in each quart of water (make enough brine to cover).
- 5Drain rind, wash in fresh water and drain.
- 6Combine remaining ingredients and boil together 5 minutes.
- 7Add rind a few at a time and cook until rind is clear.(simmer about 30 Min.).
- 8Pack rind in hot sterilized jars.
- 9Cover with boiling syrup and seal.
- 10Spices may be tied in cheesecloth bag if desired.
- 11Cantaloupe rind, pumpkin or winter squash rind may be cut into pieces and pickled in the same way.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon Rind Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (2836 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5672.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 160.0 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: