Prep1 hr 30 mins
Mom made these when I was a kid and they were quite a treat. I sometimes make them for my own family and they don't last long. They are such an unusual food that they make for quite the conversation.
- Pare watermelon rind and remove all pink portions.
- Cut rind into 1 x 2 inch pieces about 1 inch thick or into 3/4 by 1 inch cubes.
- Soak rind overnight in brine made by dissolving 1/4 cup salt in each quart of water (make enough brine to cover).
- Drain rind, wash in fresh water and drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients and boil together 5 minutes.
- Add rind a few at a time and cook until rind is clear.(simmer about 30 Min.).
- Pack rind in hot sterilized jars.
- Cover with boiling syrup and seal.
- Spices may be tied in cheesecloth bag if desired.
- Cantaloupe rind, pumpkin or winter squash rind may be cut into pieces and pickled in the same way.