Prep 48 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
From Taste of Tennessee magazine
- 3 quarts watermelon rind (about 6 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 quarts water
- 2 quarts ice cubes (2 trays)
- 9 cups sugar
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced with seeds removed
- Trim green skin and pink flesh from thick watermelon rind.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In large bowl, combine salt, 3 quarts of water and ice cubes.
- Add watermelon rind and let stand 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Cover with cold water and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, water and spices (tied in a clean, thin cloth).
- Boil 5 minutes and pour over watermelon.
- Add lemon slices.
- Allow to stand overnight.
- Heat watermelon in syrup to boiling and cook slowly for 1 hour.
- Pack loosely into clean, hot pint jars.
- To each jar, add one stick of cinnamon from spice bag.
- cover with boiling syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.