Recipe by ForeverMama
The peppery taste of the watercress makes a great balance with the watermelon. Add the onions and the pine nuts and it tastes even better by giving it an added dimension. I enjoyed this salad recently and thought I'd share it here. The best thing about this salad is that the watermelon fills you up and you don't feel hungry after. I'll be making this often especially now (June) and through late August when watermelons are at their best and available without breaking the bank.
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 bunches watercress (trimming the watercress is optional, otherwise leave stems on)
- 3 -4 cups seeded watermelon, cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into think slices and separated into rings
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Refrigerate 6 salad plates or 1 large serving platter. Whisk the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper together.
- Toss the watercress in half of the dressing and the watermelon in the other half.
- Divide the watercress evenly between the 6 chilled plates or platter. Place equal portions of melon in the center of the watercress. Top the salad(s) with the onion rings. Garnish with cracked pepper to taste and toasted pine nuts.