1/2 Photos of Watermelon Pudding or Sauce
A unique, good tasting, somewhat exotic dessert. Called "Gelo di Melone" if you use all the ingredients, a summer treat in Sicily. In making this the first time, I imagined soaking sliced sponge layers to make a true watermelon cake; or using this instead of raspberry jam in a trifle. This recipe is paraphrased (with apologies) from Nick Malgieri's book: Great Italian Desserts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups fresh watermelon juice, from about 3 lbs. of watermelon (including foam)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons blanched pistachios, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely grated (about 2 tbs) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons candied citron peel, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 1Prepare watermelon juice by scooping the meat and removing the seeds; liquefy in blender or food processor (I make extra to chill and drink).
- 2Stir sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; add about half the juice stirring until thoroughly combined, then add the rest.
- 3Cook over moderate heat; stir, scraping the bottom with a wide spatula, occasionally at first, then constantly as it begins to thicken.
- 4Reduce heat to low when the mixture begins to bubble and continue stirring for 3-5 minutes.
- 5Pour into a bowl, stirring occasionally, until it reaches room temperature then stir in the vanilla.
- 6Add the optional ingredients if desired and pour into individual serving cups or a serving dish.
- 7Chill well before serving (it will thicken to a consistency like Jello as it chills) and serve with whipped cream or cookies if desired.
- 8If using as a sauce, thin if necessary to the consistency desired with additional watermelon juice.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon Pudding or Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: