Recipe by alvinakatz
The American South's version of chutney. Great accompaniment for sandwiches or any meal. Make sure you follow good canning practices when making this. Recipe from my Dad.
- 1⁄2 of a very large watermelon
- 1 pint cider vinegar
- 5 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the red, pink and green part of the melon. Eat the red and pink parts. Discard the green rind. Chop the remaining white part into 1" pieces.
- Cover with water and boil until tender, about 1 hour.
- Put remaining ingredients in a pot and cook stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add watermelon and boil about 1 hour until syrup penetrates the melon.
- Meanwhile prepare canning jars.
- Put rind in the hot jars and fill to the top with syrup.
- Seal jars.