6 hrs 40 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
Adult popsicles with rum included! From Food & Wine; posted for safekeeping. "Cooking" time is freezing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces simple syrup (see Note)
- 4 ounces water
- 2 1/4 ounces light rum
- 2 ounces lime juice (fresh is best)
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves, packed
- 1/4 ounce lime cordial
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (see Note)
- 1MAKE THE MOJITO LAYER: In a blender, puree all of the ingredients except the xanthan gum on high speed until smooth and bright green, about 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl.
- 2Slowly sprinkle the xanthan gum over while quickly whisking, until slightly thickened and foamy. Let rest for 15 minutes, then skim any foam.
- 3Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mojito layer into eight 3-ounce popsicle molds or paper cups. Freeze until almost firm, 1 hour. Poke a popsicle stick into the center of each.
- 4MAKE THE WATERMELON LAYER: In another bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the xanthan gum.
- 5Slowly sprinkle the xanthan gum over while quickly whisking, until slightly thickened. Let rest, then skim.
- 6Carefully add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the watermelon layer to the mojito layer in the molds. Freeze until almost firm, 1 hour.
- 7Pour the remaining mojito mixture on top and freeze until almost firm, 1 hour.
- 8Top with the remaining watermelon layer and freeze until firm, 2 hours. Unmold and serve.
- 9NOTES: The thickening agent xanthan gum is available at many supermarkets and on amazon.com. Simple Syrup: In a saucepan, simmer 4 ounces of water with 1/2 cup of sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes; let cool. Refrigerate for up to 1 month. Makes about 6 ounces.
Nutritional Facts for Watermelon-Mojito Popsicles
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 34.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: