Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I saw a different recipe for this salad on a Bobby Flay Food Network show and it got me thinking. I combined watermelon and jicama with my basic recipe for pineapple salsa (Salmon With Fresh Pineapple Salsa), made a couple of additional changes and came up with this recipe. Since this recipe is an invention on my part, all ingredients are, of course, variable according to your own personal taste. Cooking time is chilling time. We think this a winner and hope you like it, too!
- 2 cups watermelon, seedless and coarsly chopped
- 2 cups jicama, coarsly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (I use extra-virgin)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper sauce (We like Cholula)
- Combine melon, jicama, onion and jalapenos in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate cup, combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and refrigerate. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.