Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
This would make an excellent addition to a 4th of July celebration. The recipe recently appeared in Boston Magazine and is the courtesy of Salt's.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powered gelatin
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (goat's or sheep's milk, if available)
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 lbs watermelon (peeled, seeded and cubed ~ about 6 cups)
- 1 lime, juice of
- kosher salt
- FOR THE MOUSSE:.
- In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and 2 tablespoons cream.
- Allow to sit for five minutes.
- Place pan on low heat and gently stir until gelatin dissolves ~ another 5 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve into the Greek yogurt and whisk till smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, whip remaining cup of cream until thickened.
- Whisk in sugar and rose water.
- Whisk 1/3 of the cream into yogurt mixture, then fold in remaining cream, portioned into two batches.
- Chill for 3 hours or until set.
- FOR THE GRANITA:.
- In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Simmer until sugar dissolves ~ about 3 minutes ~ to make simple syrup.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Puree watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup in a blender.
- Strain puree through a fine sieve into a medium bowl.
- Season with a pinch of salt, and discard solids.
- cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- To serve, scrape frozen granita with a fork to create shaved ice.
- Divide into eight bowls, and top each with a spoonful of mousse.