Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
- 3⁄4 kg watermelon, flesh only
- 1 orange, rind removed
- 1 lemon, rind removed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- Put the watermelon flesh in a liquidiser and blend until smooth.
- Combine sugar and water to make a syrup.
- Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add some rind and let it boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Strain the syrup and add to the fruit puree.
- Stir well.
- Pour into a tin and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Stir the ice crystals into the liquid and freeze again.
- Repeat the process every 20 minutes until the liquid is evenly frozen into crystals.
- Keep frozen until required then spoon into individual serving dishes.
- Serve immediately with almond biscuits.
Very easy. Used powdered lemon zest, from Penzeys, instead of the lemon rind. A hit with the kids. I doubled the recipe and it fit in a 9x13 pan. A good way ot utilize an overripe melon.
Very refreshing, and so easy to put together! The only change I made was to halve the sugar, I found this to be very sweet still, but it could have been my watermelon. I also had to use a rather small (8x8) pan, so the granita took about three hours to completely freeze. If you have room in the freezer, it'll go much faster in a larger pan. Either way, the end result is very good. We'll be making this again. Thanks!