Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Presentation suggestion: shave the red granita into chilled martini glasses and top each with a shot of chilled lemon vodka.
- 6 cups watermelon, cubes
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a large blender or food processor; blend or pulse until fairly smooth (work in batches if necessary).
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 13x 9 inch baking dish.
- Place on the floor of the freezer.
- Freeze for about 3 hours, stirring with a fork about every 20 minutes, until icy but smooth, with distinct ice crystals.
- Even out the crystals and cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap.
- The granita can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- To serve, scrape the surface of the granita with a fork, rendering lots of small crystals; scoop them into cups or glasses.
- *Spicy Watermelon Granita: add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to the blender with the other ingredients.